What is Glad and Young?

Welcome to what I hope will become one of your guilty pleasures: the Glad and Young blog. By following this blog, you will follow me in my adventures as a wanderer of the world. Simply put, this blog is a place to smile. Find a book to read, a movie worth watching, or a new cuisine to try after reading my totally honest opinion after having experienced it. If you're bashful when it comes to reckless abandonment to the unknown, take refuge in the fact that I am a complete lunatic and will go anywhere in the world just for the sake of going. Enjoy the photos, the stories, and the fact that you're young.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Not-So-Terrible Twos




My initiation into the Tauber School (my summer job) began today. I was promptly brought into a classroom with 20 two year old children, the air thick with you're-in-for-it-now. But oh, what a glorious day it was. After the time I spent with the Cassidy family (a very interesting group including 7 children, ages 13 to 10 months - 10 month old twins, at that) I now know that children really don't give a shit what you're wearing, how you smell, or what you do for a living. If you have arms to hold and a smile, they are on board.

Florida is beginning to feel more and more like home. Ashley, my cousin, is the one responsible for getting me my summer job. She pulled strings and advocated for me before we had even met, and I am in debt to her. Today we both breathed a serious sigh of relief after seeing how well the day unfolded. It is safe to say that I am here now, with no chance or desire to return home before my scheduled departure.

At the moment I am outside, watching the glow of a Citronella candle as I type. The pool is green and illuminated to my right, framed by a sky that fades from powder to ink. The palms are in silhouette, and my cigarette is lit. The bulldog is asleep. Larry is on the phone. Life is quiet. Life is normal. Life is good.

For those of you who enjoy art as well as love, check out the three part story of Griffin Moss and Sabine Strohem. I'm not sure who wrote the books, as I don't have them with me right now, but it was a fabulously strange and intriguing tale. The kind of impossibility that you don't mind because it is neither corny or predictable. Surreal art takes the stage throughout their letters to one another, and as a lover of the classic men (Da Vinci, Monet, Van Gogh, and the like) I can honestly say that it was beautiful in spite of its peculiarity.

In other news, the hot water heater at the Helfner's is virtually nonexistent. I am happy to report that my body is adjusting at record speed to the perpetual knowledge that my next shower will, without question, be cold.

I do pity those with testicles, however.

Much to my surprise, the pinkie toe of the Sunshine State was kind to me today.

"Expect nothing. Live frugally on surprise." - Alice Walker


No comments:

Post a Comment