What is Glad and Young?

Welcome to what I hope will become one of your guilty pleasures: the Glad and Young blog. By following this blog, you will follow me in my adventures as a wanderer of the world. Simply put, this blog is a place to smile. Find a book to read, a movie worth watching, or a new cuisine to try after reading my totally honest opinion after having experienced it. If you're bashful when it comes to reckless abandonment to the unknown, take refuge in the fact that I am a complete lunatic and will go anywhere in the world just for the sake of going. Enjoy the photos, the stories, and the fact that you're young.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

June 21


I’ve often spoken to my friends about “airport thoughts.” You know, the deep, philosophical, probing thoughts we find ourselves having while sipping Dunkin’ Donuts coffee and reading the Wallstreet Journal that we found sitting on the table next to us at our gate.

These thoughts creep in to help pass the time. My tradition started several years ago. Oprah Magazine, dark chocolate M&M’s, my Ipod, and all the time in the world to think.

So here I am, crusiing several thousand feet above the Atlantic Ocean. I just spotted a sand bar that looked like something out of Pirates of the Caribbean. Just a strip of bright blue water and white sand surrounded by the depths of a usual ocean. I would have liked to put my beach chair in that sand and get a tan, but unfortunately I left my parachute at home.

Speaking of home, that’s where I’m headed. Miami, as it turns out, was not meant to be. Okay, that’s not entirely true. The family I stayed with is wonderful, and my father was right when he said they would treat me like gold. They did. The job, although I only worked there a week, was satisfactory as well. But one thing led to another, and for reasons I will not disclose here on my blog, I am returning to New Jersey for the remainder of the summer.

This sudden change of plans put my writing on ice for my second week in Miami. Maybe I felt like a fraud – the glad wanderer…who wanders home. But maybe home is an adventure in and of itself. Maybe home is the greatest adventure. If you can conquer home, family, relationships, I guess you are free to roam wherever with the triumphant knowledge that you can, in fact, take root.

Truth be told, I doubt I’ll take root this summer. Summer isn’t the time for planting, though. So I’ll open my arms and welcome this season with a hug and a kiss. I’ll invite her in and offer her a beer, since it’s been such a long journey since she last rang the doorbell. I’ll comment on how pale she’s gotten and suggest we hit the beach tomorrow. And I’ll thank her, for the fact that she coincidentally brings surprise, joy, and romance with her every time.

For now, in this glorious afternoon with the clouds, I’ll enjoy my ‘lightly salted peanuts.’ I’m saving the beer for this week, when I’ll go camping for the first time. The hug and the kiss will surely come along with the beer. The tan is already started, thank goodness. And as for gratitude, I’m full. But this summer is young, and so am I.

It is only day one, after all.




No comments:

Post a Comment