What is Glad and Young?

Welcome to what I hope will become one of your guilty pleasures: the Glad and Young blog. By following this blog, you will follow me in my adventures as a wanderer of the world. Simply put, this blog is a place to smile. Find a book to read, a movie worth watching, or a new cuisine to try after reading my totally honest opinion after having experienced it. If you're bashful when it comes to reckless abandonment to the unknown, take refuge in the fact that I am a complete lunatic and will go anywhere in the world just for the sake of going. Enjoy the photos, the stories, and the fact that you're young.

Monday, June 7, 2010

The Little Conquistador



With little to no thought at all, I decided to move to Miami for two months. My father's cousin, Caron, her husband, Larry, and their three children, Ike, Ashley, and Eric, have welcomed me into their home. The only problem is: I had not met them until yesterday. Now I'm laying on the bed in Larry's office (my new boudoir for the summer) contemplating why the hell I would make the decision to abandon my life for someone else's.

It all goes back to the explorers. Those bastards had no idea what they were doing, but that didn't stop them from hoisting the sails and heading out to sea with no knowledge of where they would land. Or if they would land.In a way, my life has become very much like theirs. My view of the globe is far from perfect, my maps are hand drawn, and my notions about life in the New Land are made of nothing but my imagination. I too hope to find gold, or joy, or comfort, or self in this new place.

Thus far I've found that I am allergic to 2 of the family's 3 dogs, and that what I anticipated to be the heat of Miami is in fact dwarfed by the ACTUAL heat of Miami. I didn't know a person could actually start sweating within seconds of stepping outside. I bought a new stick of deoderant today for that very reason.

For those of you who would rather stay inside and read than enjoy the sweltering hug of summer, I recently finished "Sounds Like Crazy" by Shana Mahaffey. If you enjoy reading about incompetent women who take solace in their multiple personalities to the point where you begin to question your own sanity for ever picking up the book, then Sounds Like Crazy is YOUR new summer read. To be honest, the roles the personalities play in the novel become very irritating. The novel consists predominantly of circumstances where the main character succumbs to her cowardly nature and shows little to no individuality at all.

I was impressed that Mahaffey could squeeze as many pages out of her disappointing plot line as she did. Let's be serious for a minute: it must take SOME talent to write several hundred pages about a character who doesn't show any gumption or substance at all until the last 50.

My older sister enjoyed it - but she majored in psychology. So for all you psychology-intrigued lads and lasses who secretly question your own sanity, it's called Sounds Like Crazy.

Admittedly, I probably hated the book because the movie Sybil scared the shit out of me when I was a senior in high school. I'm serious - I slept in my parents' bed that night. So if you decide to read the book and enjoy it, there's a movie you'll also love. Sybil. If I'm not mistaken, Sally Field won the Oscar for her performance.

So there you have it: blog post numero uno from the little one in the Sunshine State. Today you should: read Sounds like Crazy, watch Sybil, and sleep in your mother's bed.

Okay, maybe not the last one. Suit yourself.

-Ali




No comments:

Post a Comment